Pick up your cross...(Finishing up the semester)

Jesus in the gospel of Mark issues a stern condition on being a disciple as he states,

"If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Mark 8:34

This passage takes on a personal dimension for me especially during these final three weeks of my schooling. I am always tempted to complain, to give into to my negative thoughts. Jesus' request to me is simple, "Marco pick up your cross (school) and follow me. I want to do this, but it seems so counter intuitive, I'd rather complain, it feels so much better to complain, there is something eerily comforting about self pity. Because the more I pithy myself, the more I lower my expectations, and in turn the less people expect from me. It is so easy to run away or to crawl into a fetal position somewhere in the cavern of my heart. You see I am doing it now, I should be doing my English homework, but I don't feel like doing it. The clock is rapidly ticking, only three more weeks to go...seems like an eternity when you are staring in front of a blank page.

Comments

Popular Posts