Perfection: The enemy of all creation

I am struggling. I am getting my ass kicked by my greatest arch nemesis, Perfection. Yes, perfection has me in its merciless grasp, sucking the creative life out of me. I try to write, but I can't, I try to speak, but I am silenced, I try to take the next right step, but I am thwarted. Every where I look, perfection is staring me right in the face, waiting to feast its fangs upon me. I am a prisoner, I am on death row, the minutes are ticking, ticking, ticking...the electric chair awaits me, I have been given my final meal, tick tock, tick tock, I think I see myself in the crowd. Yes perfection is staring me right in the face, so do I choose life, or do I choose death?

Perfection is probably my greatest fear. Each time I try to write or do anything, the mere notion of beginning it fills me with dread. So why am I am so terrified by imperfection? Mostly because there is that distinct possibility that I might not be accepted, rejected by the rat pack. Being perfect demands that I fit in, fitting into someone else's agenda while being imperfect demands that I stand out. Why? Because by being imperfect I am mostly trully myself, trully human.

In the scriptures Jesus calls us to be perfect like his heavenly father. Does Jesus mean that we need to be perfect in the human sense? No. Perfection is measured by how competely we follow God's will. Perfection is God acting through us, not the other way around. The more we obey the more God's will is manifested. Irnoically the less we become, the more we are in the eyes of God.

So how can one become perfect? By becoming imperfect!

Prayer: Dear Lord help me to become more perfect in your eyes, not in mine. Help me decrease so that you could increase.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts