The greatest teaching of all time

I was just meditating on a bible passage in the gospel of Matthew. The meditation that I did came from the book, An Ignatian Introduction to Prayer written by Timothy Gallager. This book focuses on specific readings from the Bible using the Ignatian method of prayer. In short the Ignatian method involves using one's imagination, specifically putting one self in the scene of the selected bible passage. Today's meditation was on the Sermon on the mount which I consider probably the greatest teaching in the world's history.

So I placed myself in the scene. I imagined myself walking up a dusty, desert like hill, and hearing the voice of Jesus for the first time. I imagined the crowds, the scorching heat, the unforgiving dirt road. I imagined the excitement, the novelty, the simple, unassuming, powerful words of Christ. When I did this my heart lept with joy and I felt a deep yearning to draw closer to Christ. Here are some of the beginnings of the sermon

"Blessed are the poor in spirit...
Blessed are those who mourn...
Blessed are those who are meek...
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness...
Blessed are those who are merciful...
Blessed are the pure in heart...
Blessed are the peacemakers...
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake..

In short these words are the blueprint for true greatness in the eyes of Christ. What makes the words of Christ so powerful is the fact that they are so simple, yet they have the unique ability to pierce one's heart. It is my challenge to everyone out there to take these words of Christ and to meditate on them. Read Matthew 5: 1-12 let Christ speak to you, I promise once you do your life will never be the same.

Comments

Popular Posts