Do the Next Right Thing...

There is a saying in Alcoholics Anonymous that simply states, "Do the next right thing" So what does this mean on a practical basis? And more importantly how can we apply this in our lives?

Isn't is strange how whenever one decides to do anything good there always seems like something gets in the way? Let's say for example you decide to begin an exercise regiment, you are excited, motivated, and in your heart you know that is the right thing to do, but all of a sudden just when you are about to take that first step... bang! that phone call comes, or suddenly you develop a cold, or you are tired, you oversleep, or even better something tragic might even strike, like a death. Why does this happen? And what can one do to combat this ?

In spiritual terms these events can be seen as active manifestations of an evil force called the devil, in more general terms this human tendency can be defined as inertia, or more simply as laziness being inclined not to do the right thing.

St. Paul in his letter to the Romans defined this war as he states,
"I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want (or in our case ought to) but I do the very thing that I hate...I can will what is right, but I can not do it...So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand." Romans 7:15, 18, 21
So how many of you have been in that same position? How many of you have been so paralyzed by fear and uncertainty that you can't even muster the courage to wake up? So what's the cure for this?
Simply doing the next right thing. The "right thing" can be anything, it can be making that phone call, running that first lap, doing that first push up, saying "I am sorry", saying no to an event that is masqueraded as "pressing", or even getting rid of stuff that clutters your living space, such as useless DVDs, books, and yes even premium channel subscriptions. To be great means to be radical, to be mediocre means doing the same things everyday, but expecting different results. So what's your choice?
It is my prayer that you all "Do the next right thing" and began claiming your God given dignity and greatness by making the most of each moment and by doing, "The Next Right Thing"

Comments

Popular Posts