Let me introduce to you my uncle joe...

Yesterday I had the unique privelage of celebrating a wonderful milestone, the 50th birthday of my uncle Joe. This event was special not only for the obvious reasons, but most of all because this man in many ways was like a second dad to me.

You see I was born from a broken home. My parents marriage was dysfunctional to say the least, with the obvious negative side effect being that I never had a good male role model. This all changed when my uncle Joe came into my life.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was during the summer of 1988, a humid day, the type of day in which every shirt felt like polyester. I was just 7 years old, a tall and lanky kid, with a few missing teeth (don't ask me why) I remember going to the airport and seeing my uncle and all of my other family members...I remember the sheer joy, the hope, the optimism.

Fortunately for us (me and my brothers) my uncle did not return to Slovakia he instead decided to stay with us, to become an American citizen, to become our...surrogate father.

My uncle Joe ended up staying with us for 7 years, blessing and enriching all of our lives in the process. Throughout those years he took care of us, and always spent his spare time with us, softening the blow of our absentee father. During these years he become our refuge and strength when the world around us was turbulent, and unforgiving.

My uncle Joe was also the one who introduced me to music... My uncle introduced to the great music of Bon Jovi, The Eagles, Phil Collins, Queen, Genesis,Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Led Zeppelin, Paul Mccartney, Elton John, and yes even to corny, God forsaken songs such as, "Please don't go" "I'm to sexy" (Yuk, what was he thinking!)

My uncle was the man, he was cool. I love this guy. Happy 50th birthday Ujo Jozef! ( That is uncle in Slovak)

Comments

  1. Hey Marco,

    I like your blog. I followed the link and found this page :) I need to check out Marco's mischief :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts