Glory Days (My days at Seton Hall Prep)

"Alma Mater Sons Be Loyal,
Keep her name in purest light,
never waver from her precepts
guard her banner pure and white."

These were the ominous words that greeted me as I began my high school journey at Seton Hall Preparatory High School. The melody of this song was hypnotic and it reeked of some twisted version of the theme song of "Gilligan's Island" The song was contagious, the more you tried to get rid of it the more it lingered in your mind. Proof of this is the fact that at strange times I still sing this forsaken song. (showers, funerals, in the middle of stats class, or when stuck on an elevator)Like a twisted leit motif this song keeps coming in and out at the strangest times in my life, to remind me of my allegiance to the Seton Hall Pirate cult. I am a Pirate for life, Arg! Now regarding my actual high school experience...
I don't remember much (or am I deliberately trying to forget?) during my four years there. It was an all boys school, a sort of penintentary were parents would send their black sheep and hope that in the end that they would graduate and go to an ivy league school or at the very least stay out of jail. One of the few things that I remember during my stay at the penal colony was that my classmates possessed the ingenious ability to sexualize inanimate objects. Some examples of these inanimate objects:

Stop signs,

Goal Posts

Basket Balls

Pens

Pencil Sharpeners

Trees

Staplers

Random Paintings

Books


Each time one would name any of these objects, you would always find some wanna be jock, or some tech geek, giggling, like he stumbled upon the holy grail, or had an out of body experience with Cindy Crawford. It was amazing in four short years we sexualized the entire inanimate universe! Not bad for a prestigious, all boys, catholic preparatory school!

Comments

Popular Posts