Skip to main content

A Brief Glimmer of Hope

This past week has been a hellish one in terms of my internship.  The yoke of this cross felt especially heavy this week. Mentally, psychologically, and emotionally I was spent.  You see during these 4 weeks I have undergone unprecedented scrutiny.  I have been videotaped, critiqued, put down so much that sometimes I don't even know what is truth anymore.  My mind is racked with doubt, I am growing more and more self conscious, bitter, and angry.  The worst part of this all is the fact that I can't do anything about it.  I can't fight back, all I can do is endure.  But this delicate tango of survival and acceptance isn't working anymore.  I need this to end.  I can't be here anymore.  I need to get out very soon.  I need a divine intervention.

Last night as I was heading to Spirit & Truth (Spirit & Truth is an Eucharist Adoration group which meets weekly) I was besieged by feelings of spiritual dryness.  Because of my difficulties at my internship this I had sort of gone on spiritual strike. This was my way of sticking it to the Lord.  I was very resentful towards the Lord.  I felt abandoned, left alone to be beaten like a piniata.   In a diabolical twist of fate I found that most of my zeal for the Lord had evaporated.  Now instead of looking forward to spending time with the Lord I began to dread it with all of my being.  My well was empty, I had nothing more to give.  The only thing that I could give was my wretched, beaten down self.   But despite my brokenness the Lord spoke...

First off my original plan was to take a little nap in my van before Spirit and Truth began.  However, because it was so hot I was forced to go to the Eucharistic Adoration Chapel since it was the only place with air conditioning.  Begrudgingly I got out of my car and walked into the chapel.  Trust me I did not go there to spend time with the Lord.  I just went there since it was the only place with air conditioning.  As I sat there I prayed briefly and took a nap becoming a "Eucharistic snorer" instead of an "Eucharistic adorer."

Without realizing it the Lord was answering me prayer even while I was sleeping.  The answer of my prayer came through my involvement at Spirit & Truth later that night. My main task last night was to be the emcee for the night's activities. It felt great being up there on that podium; connecting with people.  It felt good being validated for something that I am good at.  This is important since at my internship I am being critiqued constantly.  The ratio for critique is pretty much 9 to 1.  With 9 being the times that I am critiqued and 1 being the times that I am barely complimented.  Worst of all socially I am alone at my internship.  I have no friends, no allies.  It feels pretty much like solitary confinement.  How can I be friends with the very people that are critiquing me? True friendship is on an equal plane,  not a hierarchical one.  

That's why yesterday was so important because it gave me a brief view into the bigger picture of my life.  Yesterday was a merciful glimpse into who I truly am and who I am supposed to become.  Through Christ I am destined for greatness. Nothing, not even a lousy, non paid internship can take that away.  Yesterday, at Spirit & Truth I received a brief glimmer of hope.  There wass a light at the end of the tunnel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Great Quotes from The Book of Sirach

The book of Sirach is a book that is often overlooked in the bible. This is unfortunate since this book contains many wise, practical saying on how to live a virtous life. The book was believed to have been written between 200-175 B.C.E.

Here are ten quotes that I feel best reflect this timeless work.

1."Do not become a beggar by feasting with\borrowed money, when you have nothing in your purse." Sirach 18:33

2."In all you do remember the end of your life, and then you will never sin." 7:36

3.."Glory and dishonor come from speaking; a man's tongue is his downfall." 5:13"

4."A wise man is cautious in everything." 18:27

5."One who trusts others is light minded." 19:4

6."If you pursue justice, you will obtain it and wear it as a glorious robe." 27:8

7."Many have fallen by the edge of the sword, but no many as have fallen because of the tongue." 28:18

8." In all of your work be industrious and no sickness will…

George Michael, Carrie Fisher, and The Afterlife

I was stunned, as was most of the world was when I heard about the passing of George Michael on Christmas day.  Michael possessed enormous talent was and one of the most successful acts in the 1980's and early 90's

Shortly after Carrie Fisher died.  Fisher was famous for her legendary role as princess Leia from the Star Wars movies.  Strangely her mother also died the day after.

2016 was a notable year for celebrity deaths.

Some names include Prince, Glenn Frey, David Bowie,  Doris Roberts, Alan Rickman, and Muhammad Ali.

As a Catholic these deaths got me thinking about the transient nature of life and the inevitability of death.

Marcus Aurelius, the stoic, emperor, philosopher king wrote about the passing nature of life as he reflected, "Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away."

Even though I agree mostly with Aurelius&…

Me vs. The Almighty

There is a famous scene in the Bible where Jacob wrestles with God.  Jacob fights with God until God takes out a bone from Jacob's thigh. Interestingly, God eventually relents and stops fighting with Jacob. After this dramatic incident, Jacob is renamed Israel which literally means, "he who struggles with God."

I can relate to this story.  Many times in my life I have argued with God. I still do. (my wife can attest to that.) Many times I have criticized his tactics, his ways, and his wisdom. In my worst moments, I have even used choice language. I have a complicated relationship with God. Like Jacob, I have wrestled with God. (thigh bone still intact)

Recently I approached a priest friend of mine and told him of my struggles with God.  I expected that he would chide me for my lack of respect and informality. What this priest said was illuminating and encouraging. He told me that it was OK at times to be angry with God, God understood. He, in fact, encouraged this honest…