Marcello's Mischief: The baby picture incident

I don't what caused him to do it, but there it was....the torn up remnants of my first baby picture.   In the distance I heard the familiar scolding voice of my mother, yelling at my brother for some apparent transgression and like usual you could not find my brother since he would be hiding off somewhere or acting as if nothing happened.  You see I have gotten used to my mother's dramatic, urgent, broken English, Slovak voice since it seemed like almost every day my brother was ruining someone or something.  For this offense the only clues were the mangled remains of my first baby picture.  I don't know why he did it but maybe it was because I ignored him when I hung out with Steve? or maybe he did it because I embarrassed him at basketball practice, or maybe it was because he was just bored?  Whatever the reasons were my picture was torn up, a mangled memory of the way I first looked when I was born.  Fortunately my mother was able to tape together the picture to salvage it, but the trail of carnage remains, till this very day;all you need to do is go to my mother's living room and you will see this picture in all of its torn up glory.  The strange thing is that I find this incident funny. Even though my brother's actions were inappropriate, he did provide a temporary respite from the turbulent atmosphere of our home.  His strange, unorthodox sense of humor made our lives that much more interesting, providing us all the opportunity to laugh, to escape our troubled upbringings.

Comments

Popular Posts