Autumn Love

                                                    "Set me as a seal upon your heart, 
as a seal upon your arm,
for love is strong as death
                          jealousy as cruel as the grave."  Song of Solomon 8:6

About 3 weeks ago at mass I had the unique and sublime privilege of witnessing the transcending power of love. While I was preparing myself before mass I noticed from the corner of my right eye an older couple slumping along to the front right pew. There was nothing special or extraordinary about them, they were just a cute, run of the mill old couple until I noticed the wife.  You see the wife had a certain medical condition she looked like she either had a stroke or was suffering the onset of dementia.  She had difficulties walking and seemed disoriented as her husband patiently guided her to their pew.  While he was guiding his wife I noticed how he smiled and still looked at her like she was a young woman in her prime.  Despite her slow progress the husband didn't seem to mind as long as he was with her he was happy.I saw how he gently guided her when she went to receive holy communion and how he stroke her white hair. She was also wonderfully and elegantly attired wearing a pearl necklace and having her face made up. I was very touched by this moving portrayal of love.  I immediately thought of my Renee, and I longed to be with her at that moment.  I wanted to grasp, to touch, to feel her next to me.  I know that I have only been married for a little over 6 months and most people would still consider us going through "the newly wed phase"  But I strongly disagree with this sentiment because I know in my heart that my love for Renee has grown exponentially these past 6 months.  How do I know this?  Because each day I have a desire to serve her to make her happy, to protect, to cherish, to guide her. This desire transcends feelings, it transcends space and time, it grasps a piece of eternity, giving us a heavily foretaste while we are pilgrims on this earth.  There is something so inspiring about true love. I am not talking about some sappy Hallmark, touchy feely, Hollywood love.  I am talking about a love that lasts forever, a love that is built on sanctification, sacrifice, and true devotion.  How sad it is that so many people in the world never experience this love.  It is my hope that somewhere someplace when Renee and I enter the twilight years of our lives that our love can inspire another "young, newlywed couple" 






Comments

Popular Posts