Sing in key!

It is almost inevitable that as a Catholic, at any given mass you will be sitting next to somebody who can't sing to save their life. There is a prevalent saying that says that one of the best ways that you could tell a Catholic apart is by their inability to sing in tune.  Why is this so?  It seems so ironic because throughout history some of the most beautiful chant and polyphony were created by Catholics. It is my belief that a great part of this can be attributed to the misinterpretation of Vatican II's liturgical and musical changes. Most Catholic churches after this council began voraciously implementing more modern genres of music often times at the expense of more traditional forms.  Vatican II even though it encouraged a more lively and participative liturgy it never discouraged or intended for chant to be replaced by more modern genres.  Pope Benedict speaks about this reality in his apostolic exhortation, Sacramentum Caritatis,

"In the course of her two thousand year history, the Church has created, and still creates, music and songs which represent a rich patrimony of faith and love...I desire, in accordance with the request advanced by the synod fathers, that Gregorian Chant be suitably esteemed and employed as the chant proper to the Roman Liturgy." (51-52)

This distinction is critical because Pope Benedict is highlighting the importance of retaining the more traditional musical forms of the liturgy. He is not discouraging the creation of new, more modern forms of music; he is just reiterating the importance of using the established, more traditional forms of liturgical music.  I can attest to this fact since I have sung at masses where Gregorian chant was used and it was beautiful.  The beauty of chant is that it is simple and almost anyone, even the most tone deaf of us can chant with relative accuracy.  That is the true genius of chant because it is simple enough for everyone to participate in, yet profound enough to lift one's voice to God. Now I will tell you my encounter with a not so good singer yesterday when I went to mass...

As I walked in to make my entrance to church I was overjoyed by the fact that the Liturgy of the hours would be prayed. I love praying the Liturgy of the hours because like chant it is simple, but elegant in its expression.  The liturgy of the hours is also the prayer that is recited by the entire church all across the world.  So by praying the liturgy one is in essence praying in solidarity with the church throughout the world; a pretty awesome concept I must admit.  But my heavenly bliss and feelings of goodwill were rudely interrupted by one man who sat behind me.  He had a horrendous voice, he sang out of tune, sang too fast, and worst off he was confusing and throwing everyone else off key.  His singing reminded me somewhat of that infamous moment in history when Rosanne Barr(check it out, consider yourself forewarned) sang the national anthem.  His singing was really that bad, the only difference was that he did not spit in the end.

As a trained musician this was very difficult for me for me to bear. To make matters even worse I am incredibly groggy in the morning because of the medications that I take; so anything that upsets my fragile equilibrium, really makes me angry.  I tried so hard to ignore him, but the more I tried the more upset I became.  Finally my torture was ended when the organ began playing and it somewhat, successfully drowned out his horrendous voice.  In a way I felt bad for the guy, because I knew he was a holy and devout man, but still the pain of his terrible singing fills my heart with dread. I would rather stand in line at the DMV then to hear this guy's voice again.

Comments

Popular Posts