Conversations with the Saints: St. Francis de Sales Pt II

In my last conversation, Conversations with the Saints: St. Francis De Sales Pt. I I spoke briefly with St. Frances De Sales about meekness towards one self and patience.  Today I will focus on courage and the development of virtue. The quotes that are emboldened are from St. Francis De Sales devotional work, Introduction to the Devout Life."

Me: "Francis it is so nice to see you again.  I really enjoyed our last session.  How was your weekend?

Francis: "Thank you, it was also a great joy of mine to spend some time with you.  As for my weekend it was very busy since it was the feast of the Assumption, one of my favorites."

Me:  " I was reading your biography and I was interested to find out that you struggled greatly with patience throughout your life."

Francis:" Oh yes patience was something that I struggled greatly with in my younger days.   I had such a burning zeal to live my life for Christ and I knew internally that I was called to be a priest but I lacked the roots necessary to bring this desire into fruition.  Through the grace of God I had to learn to trust in God's timing not my own."

Me: "I heard that you tried to lead an expedition into Switzerland which was a heavily Calvinist area in order to convert the 60,000 protestants there.  Tell us how did that go?"

Francis: (laughing) "It is true my planning was so expertise that the only person who joined me on this ill fated crusade was my overly zealous cousin. This was yet another example of my gross immaturity, another way in which God would use to humble me on my course to following him."

Me: " I also read somewhere that you knew that you had a vocation to the priesthood, but had to wait 13 years until you were able to to become one.  Tell us briefly about the divine incident that led you to the priesthood."

Francis: "It is true I had to wait nearly 13 years, it was an agonizing time to say the least, but looking back it was also the time where my faith began to nurture under the crucible of  these trials.

I was riding my horse one day when for some strange reason I fell three times.  Each time that I fell my sword came out of my scabbard and landed onto to the ground in the shape of the cross.  I took this sign to mean that the Lord had finally accepted my sufferings, and granted my request in becoming a priest for his kingdom."

Me: "I also heard that you were almost immediately appointed provost, second only to the bishop."

Francis: "Yes, what a strange and frightful reality that while I was falling off my horse events were unfolding without me knowing.  I had no knowledge whatsoever of these undertakings.  It is better though because I would have been terrified and discouraged because of the enormity of the responsibility.  But I also learned an important lesson that day and it is that God will never put you into a position in which he will not provide ample graces for your success.  I consider this trudging into the unknown a great gift because it forces one to rely more on God and on oneself infinitely less. I call it the God Trap."

Me: "Your journey is so inspiring to me, can we speak more about trust."

Francis: "Sure I would love to speak about trust, a virtue which I am afraid I struggle greatly with.  You see most people only see the plant when it is fully blossomed, but they do not see the invisible growth of the seed; the great trials and tribulations that the seed has to undergo before it sprouts into its obvious, visible beauty.  Any virtue that anyone sees is the conquering of the vice that one has struggled the most with. We must remember that in practicing the virtues we should prefer the one most conformable to our duties rather than one more agreeable to our tastes.  All men should possess all the virtues, yet all are not bound to exercise them in equal measure.  Each person must practice in a special manner the virtues needed by the kind of life he is called to. It is also important to note that when attacked by some vice we must practice the contrary virtue as much as we can and refer all the others to it."

Me: "Can you speak a little about courage and how this virtue is a necessity in the spiritual walk, especially in the tender, beginning stages of one's conversion?"

Francis:" Sure I would love to speak about courage, a virtue that I believe is the building block of developing a more child like trust in our Lord. You see that the mountain of Christian perfection is very lofty and you say, "O God, how shall I be able to climb it! Courage Marco! When young bees begin to take form they are called nymphs and they can not fly out among flowers, mountains, or nearby hills to gather honey.  Little by little, by continuing to eat honey the older bees have prepared, the little nymphs take on wings and grow strong so that later they fly all over the country in search of food.  It is true that in devotion we are still only little bees and cannot fly up high according to our plan, which is nothing less than to reach the peak of Christian perfection.  But as our desires and resolutions begin to take form and our wings start to grow, we hope that some day we shall become spiritual bees and be able to fly aloft.  In the meantime let us feed on honey found in works of instruction that devout persons of ancient days have left us.  Let us pray to God to give us "wings like a dove" not only to fly upward during the time of our present life but also to find repose in the eternity that is to come." 

Me:  "Thanks so much on your exhortation about courage.  Courage is something that I struggle with greatly and I know that many of my friends and family struggle with it also.  Unfortunately our time must come to an end as I look to at my watch.  It is unfortunate because I wanted to talk to you about so much more."

Francis:" Do not be saddened, I also feel regret at not being able to talk with you more, but we must always be grateful for what God gives us.  The divine author knows how much each of his children need at any given moment.  God gives us what we need most of time, not what we want.  Rest assured we will meet again and if not in this life than definitely in the next. "

Me: "Thanks for those reassuring words can you say a blessing over me and my audience?"

Francis: (with arms extended) "Sure,  May the all mighty lord grant you patience, courage, and a firm resolve to accomplish his will.  Dear Lord we thank you for all the blessings that you have so generously blessed us with.  We pray that your holy will be the guide that leads us to your heavenly shore. Amen"


Me: "God bless, hope to see you soon!"


Francis: "God willing we will meet again"

Comments

Popular Posts