Conversations with the Saints: St Francis de Sales

I thought that a fun thing to do for my blog periodically would be to have imaginary conversations with some of my favorite saints.  Today I have decided that I would speak with St. Francis De Sales, author of the classic work, "Introduction to the Devout Life".  The sections that are highlighted in bold are from this work.  To find out more about this great saint click here.

Me:  "Hi, How are You ?"

St.  Francis: "Doing well thank you, it is a truly wonderful afternoon, with the sun glistening through the Alps.  A perfect day for recollection and rest."

Me:  "I do agree the sunsets here are wonderful, it is a perfect place for recollection, and appreciation for the greatness of God's creation."

Me:  "I wanted to speak to you specifically about becoming a Saint while living in this world.  Do you have anything that you would want to add to this?"

St. Francis: "Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that each one of us, no matter which state we are in are called to be saints, anything less than this would be to forfeit the greatness of God's plan when he first created us."

Me:  "You spend a great deal in your work, "Introduction to the Devout Life" teaching about how one can advance in the spiritual life. Do you have any practical suggestion in which you would like to share?  Specifically about meekness towards self?"

St. Francis: "Yes, I would like to elaborate more on this important, but often forgotten issue of meekness towards oneself.  You see one of the best exercises we can perform is when the subject is ourselves.  We must not fret over our own imperfections.  Although reason requires that we must be displeased and sorry whenever we commit a fault, we must refrain from bitter, gloomy, spiteful, and emotional displeasure."

Me:  "I can attest of falling many times into this sin of self loathing.  I realize that I have a tendency to be overly harsh with myself when I make a mistake, or fall short of what I am supposed to do.  At times this proclivity towards this morbid introspection leads me straight to a paralyzing depression, thwarting any desire for good."

St. Francis: "Yes I realize well that you suffer from this tendency that's why I believe it is important for you to develop the holy virtue of courage and perseverance.  I believe that many people, especially the young in this age suffer from this tendency.  I believe that a great reason for this is that your lives have become incredibly complex. It seems that you are always rushing to the next more exciting, fleeting thing, living lives of restless activity.  The consequence of this is of course that many of you feel depressed, and unsatisfied with your lives.  This is not the way of the Lord, the way of the Lord is gradual, like the mustard seed.  It always grows, provided that it is always watered.  The water, Marco is grace, we must never cease drawing from the "living water" of Christ."

Me:  "Thanks for your reflection, I do agree that our society is so rushed and hurried, causing our spiritual lives to suffer in the process.  Can you speak more about patience? And how it pertains to the spiritual life?"

St. Francis: " Sure, I would love to speak about this beautiful and fundamental virtue.  I heard someone once say, "By patience you will win souls."  I think that this quote is fitting because in order to achieve external, visible mastery one must vigorously develop internal mastery, and patience is the vehicle to that mastery.  It is man's great happiness to possess his own soul, and the more perfect our patience the more completely we possess our souls.  We must often recall that our Lord has saved us by his suffering and endurance and that we must work out our salvation by sufferings and afflictions, enduring with all possible meekness the injuries, denials, and discomforts we meet.  The truly patient person and true servant of God bears up equally under tribulations accompanied by ignominy and those that bring honor." 

St. Francis:  "I would also like to add something that my dear friend Jane Francis De Chantal said about this matter:
"God's way usually is to make things from which he wishes to draw his glory succeed amidst the most painful difficulties.  You should look upon contradictions in the step you are undertaking as a certain proof that his divine Majesty wills you be his true and perfect servant."

Me. "Wow thanks for these wonderful words from Jane."

St. Francis:  "Jane was a wonderful soul, she embodied this virtue better than anyone that I have encountered in my lifetime.  For example she was of noble birth and she had a father in law who was an unreasonable man.  Instead of complaining or lamenting her state she patiently bore up her suffering with perfect, Christ like charity.  She was not perfect herself, but her virtue, which was infused by the divine light of Christ shined brighter than any of her imperfections."

Me:  " I am afraid to say that our time is unfortunately ending.  I have so much more to say, so much more to learn, that I feel deprived, by the cruel limits of time."

St. Francis:  "Do not worry, God's will is timeless, we will meet again and we will resume this conversation at the Lord's appointed time." 

Me: "Thank you for your kind reassurance. I also believe that we will meet again and continue this conversation.  I would love to speak to you next time about, courage and how this virtue is a prerequisite to the spiritual life. Any last words."

St. Francis (arms extended) "I pray that the Lord Bless you, protect you, and instill in your heart a greater zeal for holiness.  I also pray that the Lord help you in developing a more meek spirit towards yourself, and a more patient, hopeful spirit, to recognize the fruits of his blessings even when they are not visible. Amen."

Me: "Good Bye and God Bless."

Comments

Popular Posts