Let's Set the Record Straight: A Defense of Pope Benedict Pt. V

Before reading this post browse through my previous 4 installments which I wrote this past spring,  Let's Set the Record Straight:  A Defense of Pope Benedict Parts. I, II, III, and IV.   


Today as I was reading the news on the Internet I came upon a shockingly positive headline about Pope Benedict.  At first I had to scratch my eyes and tap myself on my head 3 times to make sure that I was not dreaming.  Once I realized that I was not dreaming I began reading the headlines and from what I read I was pleasantly surprised. The headlines spoke about how Pope Benedict (then Cardinal Ratzinger) during his tenure as the head of the Congregation for the defense of the Faith (CDF) repeatedly sought for tougher punishments for sex abuse priests.  Also what makes these articles so encouraging is how they depict Pope Benidict as a reformer ahead of his time in his efforts for clerical reforms.  Here are the 4 articles that I read:

  1. Catholic Culture 
  2. The New York Times
  3. The Washington Post
  4. The Vatican's Blog 

In a way today's headlines are a type vindication for the pope and his exemplary record of dealing with the global problem of sex abuse priests.  I am under no illusion that the media has had a miraculous conversion and will suddenly begin to love the Pope like Barack Obama, but it is great how once in a blue moon the media does its job of accurately reporting the news.  We should truly celebrate these rare moments indeed!

Comments

Popular Posts