Right Place, Right Time

A couple of days ago I met up with a friend from Italy whom I haven't seen in years.   It was interesting to see how we both changed.  We got to talking and catching up where we left off the last time we spoke. As we took a sauntering walk we came to the conclusion that we were both at the right place and the right time in history. Ironically, we came to this conclusion as we spoke about the two things most people say to avoid, religion and politics.

We discussed our differing views and truly listened to each other.  We talked and walked and looked like two old Italian men with both arms behind our back, heads slightly tilted forward, philosophizing about the ills of the world and our roles in unfolding drama of life in 2012 A.D.

What struck me most about the encounter was the awareness of how God chose us both to be alive at this time. I often wondered how would I have fared during different periods in history. I wondered how would I have fared during the Great Depression?  During the Roman empire?  How would I be as a medieval soldier,  or a marauding pirate, or a desert monk during the dark ages, or a scribe during Jesus' time, or a front line soldier in the civil war, or as a merchant in Ancient Greece?  

God decided in his infinite wisdom that I should be born in the late 1900's and live the bulk of my life in the 21st century as a married, American man.  I don't know when I will see my friend again, but meandering down the street with him for and hour really made me think about my place in this world. 

Comments

Popular Posts