Conversion. Simply stated.


St. Augustine

What do you think of when you hear the word conversion?  Do you think of it as a momentous, once in a life time experience?  Or do you think of it as a medieval codeword for punishment?  

What is conversion? And what does it mean to be converted?

On the highest level conversion means simply turning to God.  To be converted means to strive daily to follow God to the best of one’s abilities regardless of personal failings.

To be converted means to daily take stock of one’s weaknesses and correcting those weaknesses in service to a greater goal.

Think about it.  What separates the best from the mediocre?  It is daily improvement. (conversion) To be the best, one needs to improve daily.

I want to be best Catholic that I can be.  I want to be the Michael Jordan of Catholicism.  I don’t want to be mediocre.  The way that I will accomplish this is through daily conversion.   I love how St. Augustine explains conversion,

“As Christians, our task is to make daily progress toward God. Our pilgrimage on earth is a school in which God is the only teacher, and it demands good students, not ones who play truant.”

Comments

Popular Posts