Time: What is productive time?

Over the past couple of weeks I have been thinking much about the nature of time.  As most of you know by now I have completed my internship (I still have more loose ends to tie up in order to get the diploma - it seems never ending, but its on the path to closure)  Now that the euphoria of this achievement has worn down I am faced with the difficult concept of time management.

The great challenge during these past couple of weeks has been how to use my time in the most beneficial way possible.  I know what I should be doing,  searching for a job,  launching a small business, building my relationship with the Lord. etc...

Recently as I was reading one of my favorite blogs, The Conversion Diary I came across the daily schedule of Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity.  I think its surprising.

Daily Schedule for the Missionaries of Charity

4:30-5:00 Rise and get cleaned up
5:00-6:30 Prayers and Mass
6:30-8:00 Breakfast and cleanup
8:00-12:30 Work for the poor
12:30-2:30 Lunch and rest
2:30-3:00 Spiritual reading and meditation
3:00-3:15 Tea break
3:15-4:30 Adoration
4:30-7:30 Work for the poor
7:30-9:00 Dinner and clean up
9:00-9:45 Night prayers
9:45 Bedtime
The thing that struck me the most was the free time that was interspersed throughout the day.

My schedule is actually more hectic then the missionaries of charity! I allow myself far less rest time throughout the day.  I fall prey to our society's definition of time.  I tend to buy into workaholism and my schedule is based on the notion of measurable productivity.

I learned through the missionaries' schedule that rest time and prayer time is essential and quite productive.  This is where the recharging occurs. This is where the soldiers get strong for the next battle. This is where God  breathes life into our weary minds, hearts, and hands. I have to stop beating myself up for reading a book, or taking a coffee break.  I want to hear that "still small voice." I want to obey Him when He says "Be still and know that I am God. 

Lately my wife and I have been hearing this message loudly in out prayer times:  "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you."   Keeping God first also means exercising self care.  A rundown tired Marco is not a good witness to other people, and is not useful in building the Kingdom of God.  I love the orderliness of the sisters.  They have it right. You know how I know that? Look at the fruit!



Comments

Popular Posts