A difficult decision: My trepid entrance into politics

This has been a difficult decision for me.  You see politics is a dirty business and I did not want to become some hack political blogger who favors a particular party over another. There are literally hundreds of blogs out there that do a far better job then I could ever.

Unfortunately though, we live in a time and a place in history where both political parties stink. Both parties are trying to subvert the authentic needs of we, the people. Each day I am seeing more and more of my freedoms eroded, more of my taxpaying money stolen,  more of my dreams being sacrificed by the gross incompetence of self serving politicians. Damn the politicians! We don't need them and our country definitely does not need them. What our country needs is, we the people, the true voice, the true heralds of freedom. We are the ones that have the power to promote lasting, and positive change. We need to reclaim the American dream,that ethic that proclaims to the entire world that we are fundamentally good. We as individuals have the power to make the world a better place for all.  (No I am not talking about the corny Michael Jackson tune, Heal the World.)

 I read somewhere that in 1858 after Abraham Lincoln lost the election to the U.S. senate to Stephen A. Douglas he was determined to quit politics.  But after a while he could not hold true to this pledge; something inside of him was awakened, a certain realization, a certain awareness of his fate, his destiny, his calling. Lincoln came to the painful conclusion after this period of intense inner scrutiny that slavery needed to be abolished once and for all. He believed that a confrontation was inevitable and that if he would not act then the country would be split; forever destroying the foundations for future generations. Fortunately for our country Lincoln, followed his conscience, sacrificing his life, forever benefiting our country.

I am in no way equating my entrance into the political world to Lincoln's but I can definitely relate to the inner turmoil, conviction and desire to do something meaningful for our country. I feel compelled to give back if not militarily, then through my own, unique talents, my voice, my love of this country.You see my body runs on American blood. I might be a European by descent, but I am an American at heart, and a Catholic in conscience. I truly believe in the greatness of this country and the ideals of our founding fathers.  The reality is that a strong, robust America is good for the world. Why? because our country is the only country in the world where immigrants, minorities, the persecuted, all have a chance to become someone, to make a lasting contribution.

We should never feel ashamed of our proud heritage, America is good not perfect, but fundamentally good. It is this spirit of gratitude in which I enter the slimy, back stabbing world of politics; Because to be honest I don't want to be somewhere 60 years from now sitting on some rocking chair lamenting to my grandchildren that once upon a time there was something called America.  I don't want my grandchildren to think that somehow that this country became extinct, another fossil, another footnote, another dinosaur to donate to the museum of natural history.

Hopefully through doing my part, my children, and my grand children can enjoy the freedoms that our forefathers so carefully and ingeniously crafted in the Constitution.  The sad truth is that our country is vanishing before our eyes. It is my job to do my small part and through the grace of God to prevent this from happening, Why? Because I love this country

Comments

Popular Posts